Friday, September 20, 2013

Yes? No! No? Yes!: Say yes to life.


For many people there is still a belief that "I do" are the two words that open the gateway to a happy, safe and meaningful life.  I disagree.

I believe the gateway words are 'yes' and 'no'.


Our Yes/No Earrings


 Many greater minds then mine have mulled over the importance of these words eons
before me.


Mae West, who mixed her sex appeal, intelligence and humor brilliantly said "I only have 'yes' men around me.  Who needs "no"  men?" HA!


Our Mae West Tombstone Tote

Eleanor Roosevelt, who was named by President Truman as the First Lady of the World because of her humanitarian efforts,  said 
"Never allow a person to tell you 'no' who doesn't have the power to say 'yes'"
 I try to remember her wisdom throughout the craziness of everyday life.  




Gandhi once said "A 'no' uttered from the deepest conviction is better then a 'yes'  merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

I wish I had taken that to heart sooner.  I have found that many
 of my own, and my friends, personal relationships fail from
 this just as often as governments do. 

Pythagoras, the famous Greek mathematician,  said “the oldest, shortest words - 'yes' and 'no' - are those which require the most thought".   His math theory has more than stood the test of time so I would trust his thinking.





Finally, one of my favorite mythological and philosophical writers Joseph Campbell, who coined the infamous phrase "follow your bliss",
and who's definition of a hero's journey is replayed in
every Hollywood film, declared
"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty 'yes' to your adventure. 





I honor all these thinkers in my yes/no line, which I created as much to help me with my own equivocation, as my desire to remind everyone else to 
stay true to their own 'yes' and 'no'. I find that people who are living by the truth of what they really want to say 'yes' and 'no' to,  have an inner and outer beauty that shows up in all areas of their life.

As Nietzsche, the great philosopher said, "there is no middle ground to life, you either said 'yes' to life or you have said 'no'.

Our Yes/No Coin Purse


0 comments:

Post a Comment