Friday, August 2, 2013

Be Empowered


Throughout my day,  which often feels like an episode of "Survivor",  empowerment has been a far off idea.  A concept way out of reach and understanding.  Empowerment was filed into my mental cabinet as a trendy phrase that hangs out there...full of potential but actually meaningless.  Until recently.

When I learned to add and put two and two together (making four BTW ;-)) ok bad joke, but I had a moment of self discovery that I actually empower myself all the time.  I just never added the word and the actions together.   As I am headed to my first trade show in NY a lot of fear has come up,  and I have had to shore myself up so that regardless of the outcome,  I am proud of myself for going for it.  

Here are the tricks I learned along the way.

HBelle's 5 Empowerment Tricks 

1. I seek expert support  - simply put,  I ask for help and advice. 

In fashion I have my go to girl Jennie Beak at Barney's who understands me and how personal style can be enhanced by certain pieces and I ask my dear friend Elizabeth Shoemaker to help me with anything from parenting to politics.
It is impossible to be your own advisor in every area of your own life.  

Some pieces from the Fall 2013 Collection


2. I fail - I try designs and ideas and when they fail I somehow feel stronger and closer to a great idea. 

3. I read...everything - but mostly I read  things outside my own life experience. From fiction to the Wall Street Journal I always learn something new and that makes me feel strong.   


The Clutch in Cobalt Blue


4. I tell the truth - I use to listen to people's criticisms of me for over sharing and get all worried,  but that's me and it's real. I find  the moment I admit to a fear, a struggle, a concern, that there is someone right there going through the same issue and it creates a powerful bond for us both.  

5. I exercise - the hardest one of all.  I would rather confess every sin known to man but I am 100 percent sure that every time I exercise I feel stronger.  

Being a designer can be very scary.  It's like singing in the high school cafeteria (and not the GLEE version).  A real high school where you feel exposed all the time to criticism or you are being ignored.   Heather Belle Co. empowers me to work outside my comfort zone and face each fear knowing that it wont be the last.  And I don't want it to be.  I want to be tested and admit that I hate not knowing what grade I will get.  

This fear is so much easier to tackle when I am empowered. 

xo
Heather



The Pyramid Tote & Elephant Cuff mixed with some other great pieces from our Fall collection

0 comments:

Post a Comment