Friday, August 9, 2013

Be Fashionable, Not False


Trends 

When I was a new mom Fendi bags were all the rage. The moms at my kids' pre-schools would wait outside the "blue door" to drop off their pre schoolers. They were totally dressed up, and would then compare and contrast what everyone was wearing to go rush off and shop for the new, must have, never before seen Fendi bag of the moment. One mom had the Fendi Aspen store on her speed dial! I admit I got caught up as well, and even today, years later, when I pull out one of these purses I shake my head, as does any friend I show them to, saying "No" put it back. I was and still can be a total fashion victim. 

The 3 inch Channel Cuff in....Cobalt!

My two cents on shopping....buy well made classic pieces you love and will wear season to season because they fit your shape and flatter your figure.  

At lower price points buy colors and cuts that keep you looking current but are not "too" trendy.  

This advice comes from expensive and embarrassing personal experience as well as the wisdom of some very fashionable women whose styles I love,  like my mother and my fashion "it" friends. When I buy anything meaningful I ask myself the following: 

1. Just because I can wear it should I?  Is this my look and style or a costume?

2. Do I need it?  Is my wardrobe missing the perfect black dress? (No!)

3. Does it fit my daily life style.  Where am I going in 5 inch heels or a wool fur lined coat in LA? 

4. Does it have a element of classic timelessness? 


This is a round about way of saying - try but do not try too hard.  We want that "I just threw this outfit together look (it took me three days of throwing :))) ) but "ta da" here  I am effortlessly chic" look. Easier said then done but doable.  You should look at building your wardrobe as a investment, just like furniture, art etc... 

I design with my instinct and create what I love because, as Melissa who works for me will confirm, when I read trend reports it seems that almost every season every category is on "trend".  Sometimes the trend of the moment is already in my closet because I bought something I love and the color is in this season or the shape has come back in style and it needs a good tailor to be made a bit more current.   

Today I pulled images from my line of my smart "blue door" picks that I will wear year to year.  Though this beautiful Cobalt color is a "hot trend" this Fall season, I designed classic pieces using this "it" color that can be worn even when this shade fades away from the spotlight. 

If you love it, wear it.  Even if it's not on the "Hot Trend" list :-) Just wear what makes you feel beautiful and brave.  Wear what makes you feel like you.


The Clutch in Cobalt



The Cobalt Collection

0 comments:

Post a Comment